Date:      17 Dec 2000 21:47:27 -0500
From:      Nat Lanza <magus@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Writing Device Drivers

Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net> writes:

> This is IMHO one of the advantages linux has over FreeBSD. You can run
> by your local Barnes & Noble bookstore and pick up a copy of "Linux
> Device Drivers" and start writing code that you actually understand.

It's less of an advantage than you might think. Kernel internals are
moving targets, especially in the Linux world, and it doesn't take
very much time for a book to become outdated.

For example, when I started writing drivers for Linux 2.2, all I could
find was books that covered 2.0 and early versions of 2.1. Nothing
documented the current kernel, and because of the drastic changes
between versions, much of the documentation for 2.0 was misleading.

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs
magus@cs.cmu.edu -------------------------------- http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~magus/