Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 1998 11:19:58 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USERCONFIG_BOOT, heads up!

> > > I tried the following:
> > >
> > > disklabel -B /dev/wd0s1
> >
> > What's that for?
>
> I really had no clue how to install the new loader, and I couldn't find
> any docs for it.  The manpage for disklabel said that -B would install the
> standard loader, so... :)

Ah, OK.  The best way to switch is probably to install the new
bootstrap.  There's some terminology fog here; there are four
components in the new boot path:

 - boot0			(looks like booteasy, optional)
 - boot1
 - boot2
 - /boot/loader

These are all new, although boot1 and boot2 share names with the old
bootstrap components.

You don't need to update boot0 if you already have something like it
installed, or you're not doing the multiple OS thing.

To install the new boot1/boot2, say:

 disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 wd0s1

You should remove any existing /boot.config file.

> > Incidentally, you should only have to run the above 'pnp' commands once;
> > they should be saved by 'dset' back into the kernel during the boot
> > process.
>
> Right, but wouldn't I have to reissue them every time I built a new
> kernel?

Yes.