Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 17:23:00 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Andriss <andriss@argate.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large drives (>8GB)

On Tuesday, 11 August 1998 at 21:27:43 -0500, Andriss wrote:

>> On Tuesday, 11 August 1998 at 15:52:11 -0500, Blake Freeburg wrote:
>>> Hello FreeBSDers...
>>>
>>> 	I have a gigabyte motherboard which recognizes the new maxtor 11GB drive
>>> that I have stuck in server.  So far, so good, but the drive cannot be
>>> configured greater than 8GB.
>>>
>>> 	Did I miss something?  I have tried to set the values for in the
>>> sysinstall program, so any  info would be appreciated...
>>
>> The changes for >8GB didn't make it into 2.2.7.  They're in -stable
>> now.
>
> Does it mean that when I get my 2.2.7 CD's, they won't
> be able to read drives bigger than 8 gig without
> applying patches?
>
> Please give me any additional information on this, if you can.

The 2.2.7 CDs won't be able to handle more than 8 GB.  After you get
them, you will have to upgrade to -stable and rebuild the kernel.
After that you will be able to access the rest of the disk.

Does anybody out there have an install diskette which includes the
fix?  If so, please let yourself be known.

Greg