Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 21:49:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "brian j. peterson" <rbw@myplace.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ICMP flood causes panic?

brian j. peterson writes:
 > # (gdb) l *0xfffffc0000383278
 > # (gdb) l *0xfffffc00005075d4
 >
 > i didn't use config -g when i made the kernel... i guess maybe i should
 > have.  does it cause a performance hit to do this?

No.  No performance hit.

 > # If you don't have a debug kernel, map the addresses to functions via
 > # nm -n.
 >
 > rbw@nikita:~[26]18:02% nm -n /kernel | grep fffffc00003832
 > fffffc0000383240 T procrunnable
 > fffffc0000383280 T chooseproc
 >
 > rbw@nikita:~[27]18:03% nm -n /kernel | grep fffffc00005075
 > fffffc0000507504 T longjmp
 > fffffc000050754c t longjmp_botch
 > fffffc0000507568 T savectx
 > fffffc000050756c t Lsavectx1
 > fffffc00005075a8 T idle
 > fffffc00005075ac t Lidle1
 > fffffc00005075cc t Lidle2
 > fffffc00005075f0 T cpu_switch
 >
 > (i hope that is the output you were looking for.)

Yes.  It sounds like it was in the idle loop, not in the guts of a
device driver.  If I had to guess, I'd guess that it was a pci bus
related hardware problem triggered by the nic being overloaded.
That's just a guess, though.

 > thanks for your time,
 > brian
 >
 > p.s. - i still have the /usr/src/sys/compile/NIKITA2 directory and the
 >        /usr/src/sys/alpha/conf/NIKITA2 kernel config file untouched
 >        from when i built the kernel... i suppose i could build the kernel
 >        with config -g if it would help.

Its usually good to have one laying around.  When you run config -g &
build a kernel, you end up with 2 kernels -- kernel & kernel.debug.
The stripped kernel gets installed & kernel.debug is left in
sys/compile/FOO.  If you have problems, you can point a kernel
debugger at that kernel.debug.

Drew