Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:44:41 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        protius@bobdbob.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pilot error with vinum

--tRcR9GoWqjXrt11v

On Tuesday, 18 March 2003 at  0:47:59 -0500, Protius wrote:

> I have made a really pathetic error with a vinum array, and I was hoping
> someone could bail me out...
>
> The array in question is 6 disks, running vinum raid-5, under FreeBSD
> 4.5-Release (it wasn't broke, I didn't want to touch it...).  It has
> been running for nearly a year, with no hiccups.
>
> Just recently, a disk failed.  I saw it in vinum's ls list, and attempted
> to remove it, to attach a new one.  Unfortunately I missed, and removed
> one of the functional subdisks.

Ouch.

> With two subdisks missing, the array imediately Went Away.

Do you still have the disk?  If so, and *if* you know what the subdisk
was called, recreate it.  You'll also have to know where it fits in
the array.  Probably the best thing to do is to do a dumpconfig and
send it to me.  I'll then send you a new config file.

> I figured out what I had done, and havn't done anything more than run
> various list commands, and a couple of attempts to start the failed
> subdisk (but its obsolete anyway).  The disk I removed is still visible
> on ld (as a disk, but 99% available), but its off the list of subdisks.
>
> How can I put it back on the list of subdisks, reattach it to the plex
> from which it came, and get my array back?

Roughly.  It's complicated enough that I'd rather see what has
happened so far.

Greg

--tRcR9GoWqjXrt11v

--tRcR9GoWqjXrt11v--