Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 22:24:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Lanny Baron <beef@cybertouch.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dhcp and a lan..

	Hello Greg,

	How are you? How is your new book coming along? Richard is away
for a few days. In an email to me, he told me to set up my new FreeBSD box
and hook it directly to the cable-modem. As I write this I am just
downloading FreeBSD 3.0 (i am a member or what ever you call it, with
FreeBSD to get the cd's but as yet they did not send/bill me for it) and
will set up the box tonight.

 	If you think it would be easier to explain on the phone just do a
talk session with me so I know to call you.

       My question is this. I am connected to the net via cable modem. I
have available 4 Legit IP's. A good friend who is away, told me that due
to my network file server, my setup should be as follows.
Internet-->cable-modem-->1st FreeBSD box-->hub-->lan

	If I set up my lan and net connection like above, how do the
machines on the lan get their real, assigned IP addresses from? Should I
be running a dhcp server? If so, on which box? Should i install natd on the
1st FreeBSD box (directly connected to the cable-modem)?

Thanks and regards as always,
Lanny