Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 21:40:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        cjm88@home.com
Cc:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE Install problems, BOOT FAILURE after  freshinstallation

On Sat, 12 May 2001 cjm88@home.com wrote:

> I had the exact same problem with similar hardware.  My problem arose it, seemed, because the drive I was using had been previously
> dangerously dedicated. After multiple failed installs I decided to see if I could create a DOS partition and format it with the /S option.
> That worked so I tried installing FreeBSD again and everything worked fine from that point on.

You probably neglected to write a standard boot manager to the disk.  This
can be done in systinstall, but has historically not always worked
correctly.  (You select Standard boot manager, but it installs None...)
You can also always boot with a DOS diskette and use 'fdisk /mbr' to write
a standard bot manager to the disk, or copy the first sector from a good
disk to the offending one using something like (bs=512 should be default):

'dd if=/dev/xxx of=/dev/xxx bs=512 count=1'

I've had to do this more than once before.  Perhaps this was your problem.

Later......						<Doug>