Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 08:47:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donn Miller <hackr_d@yahoo.com>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improvements for FreeBSD v4.3.1-Release?

--- "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com> wrote:

> I thought the conclusion was that SoftUpdates which comes with
> FreeBSD had many advantages over typical journalling FS's.

<sar>Which is why Sun and SGI both use Soft Updates on their
filesystems.</sar>

I think it's all a matter of tradeoffs.  Journaling probably isn't as
fast as softupdates, but otoh, really huge filesystems don't have to
have the long fsck that softupdates requires.  BUT, if background fsck
ever gets implemented, it should help immensely even the score in that
area.

In general, I think journaling is better, but what happens when the
journal itself gets corrupted?  Another [+] for softupdates.  Ok, I
don't know what I'm talking about.