Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 14:13:51 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        Mike Jenkins <mjenkins@carp.gbr.epa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chat type program for automated dialling of a modem

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Mike Jenkins wrote:

> > > I have an application that requires automatic dialling of a modem number,
> > > then entry of a couple of parameters once connected. Chat can easily do
> > > this, but it doesn't seem to be able to work by itself (if the man page is
> > > anything to go by). You can't specify the device or speed on the
> > > commandline, that seems to be passed on by pppd (?)
> >
> > How about normal redirection?  I tried this and it worked:
> >
> > 	% chat -e '' ATZ OK </dev/cuaa1 >/dev/cuaa1
>
> Did this work for you?  I never heard anything back.

Sorry Mike,

Yes, it worked perfectly. I also popped in an stty command to set the
speed:

stty </dev/cuaab 19200
chat -v -t 90 -f chat.TEMP </dev/cuaab >/dev/cuaab

Unfortunately that particular project has had to be shelved for the moment
due to the spare line I was using for it no longer being spare. ;-) But
yes, it did work!

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                     Sensation Internet Services, Melbourne Aust
fidonet: 3:635/728                                          +61-3-9388-9260