Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:13:00 -0500
From:      "Scott T. Hildreth" <shild@sbcglobal.net>
To:        "Ian A. Tegebo" <yontege@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Managing perl modules

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 16:43 -0700, Ian A. Tegebo wrote:
> I'm finding myself needing perl modules that aren't already ports.  I
> haven't been using BSDPAN because I heard that that method doesn't work
> with portupgrade and friends.  So far I've been following the porter's
> handbook for my own local ports overlay.
>
> Is there a recommended method for managing perl modules?  I was hoping
> cpan2dist via CPANPlus would do the trick but it looks like it hasn't
> been subclassed for ports yet:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~kane/CPANPLUS-0.076/
>
> I know Gentoo has g-cpan for this purpose and debian has dh-make-perl.
> Is BSDPAN dead simple and I've just been missing out?

  Not the answer you looking for, but I thought I would share. :-)
  Because I am a heavy Perl user, I install my own Perl in
  /usr/local/perl-X.X.X and have a link /usr/local/perl point to
  what ever version directory I want to use for "production".  I
  set up cpan and install modules via cpan, which handles the
  dependencies for me (95% of the time).  I consider the Perl in
  ports to be a vendor Perl and allow what ever port that needs
  it and any modules they need.  Because I tend to be more current
  with modules, I find installing with CPAN the way to go.  I also
  can test a new version and supporting modules in its own env or dir
  without breaking any dependent software or processes.

--
Scott T. Hildreth <shild@sbcglobal.net>