Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 08:16:09 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XDM troubles

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Mike Jeays wrote:

> I can run XDM successfully the 'deprecated' way, by putting the call in
> /etc/ttys.  But when I call it from /etc/rc.local, the login screen
> appears, but it won't accept any keystrokes, not even the CTRL-ALT-F1 etc
> combinations.  I do have a 'sleep 2' call after the XDM call, as
> recommended recently in this list.

What do you have in the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file? Be sure to
specify the vty you expect it to start on in there, because otherwise,
when started from rc.local, it may pick a vty that will later have getty
started on it (at least I recall similar symptoms I had once with a bad
Xservers file). Should be somthing like:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt04 -to 5 -bpp 16
                          ^^^^

> Can anyone use XSM successfully?  Others have reported that it doesn't
> work, and it certainly dumps core on my machine.  Why is there a call to
> it in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession if it doesn't work?
>
> Any clues would be much appreciated!

Nadav