Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:31:51 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux ext2 fs support changes in -stable

Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

> Somewhat all-of-a-sudden, I am unable to r/w mount a Linux ext2
> filesystem on the same hdd with my BSD.  I get in my syslog (&
> on console):
> /kernel:  WARNING: R/W mount of dev 0xe040a denied due to
>     unsupported optional features

This is telling you that this file system has features (put in the by a
recent version of Linux, most likely) which our ext2fs code does not
understand. Since we don't understand it, allowing a R/W mount is
dangerous.

You can read more about this using the cvsweb to check the commit logs
for the ext2fs files. This was bde's (Bruce Evans) changes.

I can see the point in wanting to force a R/W mount, on the grounds that
you know more about your setup than the software does (which is the
whole point of the software denying you R/W access in the first place
:), but you'll need to convince Bruce, not me, of that.

Convincing Bruce is easy, as long as he agrees with you to begin with.
If he doesn't...

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

        One IP to bring them all and in the zone bind them.