Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:31:49 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9907111649160.27818-100000@janus.syracuse.net> "Brian F. Feldman" writes:
: How in the world could my inetd ident service be exploited? I just fixed
: the only problematic feature, fake id, to make it not read anything but a
: regular file and not let you try to use  someone else's name. I can't see
: any way that any part of it could be exploited...

Typically how that was exploited is as a buffer overflow on the remote
side (eg there was an exploit in sendmail where the attacker would
send a very long string when the ident request came accross.  Sendmail
would record this in a fixed length buffer on the stack, which
overflowed allowing an egg to execute).  The text file that you read
could be used to make it easier to setup such a hostile host, since if
I recall correctly, the entire EGG was printable characters.  There
are no limits in the size of responses for ident...

Thankfully, this exploit is long since dead.  However, with irc
servers using it as a "honest people's lock to keep honest people
honest" maybe there is something that can be done there.

Also, at one time one could open the ident service port up and just
sit there, never sending data.  After a short period of time, all the
ident server slots would be in use, and then the attacker could begin
to attack the remote side in earnest (this is a reason that I had
forgotten why identd was considered to be a very weak protocol).
There was also some trick of using identd to scan ports (eg, connect
to identd and ask for each port, in succession, since some early
identds weren't selective enough about the data they returned).

I also recall seeing on some of the "blacker" lists that I've bumped
into instructions for using TTCP and/or half open connections to
confuse identd as well.  I can't find the references right now, but
these may also have boiled down to the TCP SYN-class of attacks that
was so popular a while ago.

There is also a danger in accepting source routed packets as well
(which I think we turn off at the system level by default).  They
could be used to figure out who other connections belonged to by
disguising the source address to be one other than the originator to
gain information about any user connected to your machine.

Well, you did ask how it might be abused :-)

Warner