Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:24:25 +0200
From:      Marton Kenyeres <mkenyeres@konvergencia.hu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Degrade, upgrade

On Thursday 22 July 2004 15:06, Kov=E1cs P=E9ter wrote:
> Hello guys,

Hi!

> I have a system running FreeBSD 5.2.1 and want to degrade it
> to FreeBSD 4.10 (because the program I want to use only runs
> and supported on that platform) without reinstalling the system.
> Is it enough to cvsup to the RELENG_4 branch and recompile
> the system?
> Should I recompile all the programs that were previously
> compiled in the FreeBSD 5 environment?

In most cases it's guaranteed to _NOT_ work and render your system unusable=
=20
because the UFS2 filesystem (which is the default in the 5.x branch) is not=
=20
supported under 4.x. However you can use most software written for FreeBSD=
=20
4.x if you install the misc/compat4x port.

> I would also like to know how this works backwards (which is
> the common way), so to upgrade from 4 to branch 5. Is there
> some kind of tutorial for this?

Yes, it's possible, however for most users the easyest and safest way is to=
=20
backup valueable data, and do a fresh install. This way you can take=20
advantage of all the features of the new filesystem. If you must do a sourc=
e=20
update for some reason, the upgrade process is described in detail in=20
src/UPDATING.

> Thanks,
> P.

cheers,