Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 23:07:20 +0900
From:      MIHIRA Sanpei Yoshiro <sanpei@sanpei.org>
To:        dlombardo@excite.com
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ES1868 sound (still) fades away

>I have just downloaded and tried the latest ESS driver from your Web
>site (http://www.jp.FreeBSD.org/~sanpei/), as well as upgraded from
>2.2.8 to 3.1-stable; yet the problem persists.  When I run "mixer", as
>you specified below, it shows the default settings (similar to the ones
>below);  when I do "mixer vol 100", the volume goes up for half a
>second, then starts fading away, while the mixer still shows vol 100.
>It is possible to keep the volume level up by running the mixer program
>every second or so.

  It's strange result........
  I also use mpg123 for MP3 player. I have never heard it.

  I will list your problem in snd/TODO.ESS(Known problem and TODO
list about ESS driver.)

  And could you test OSS/FreeBSD sound driver which is Commercial
Sound Driver, but you can download and do not need any fee for trial
use, or VoxWare sound driver(sb0).

  OSS/FreeBSD
	http://www.opensound.com/
  OSS/Free for FreeBSD(aka VoxWare) sound Driver
	/sys/i386/isa/sound and
controller      snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1

Cheers.
MIHIRA Yoshiro