Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2001 10:58:45 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Attempted Buffer Overrun in via httpd?

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net> types:
> > Of course, but for each miss, I end up with a message in my inbox
> > notifying me of a 404 encountered on my site.  It doesn't happen
> > often, once in a while someone requests favicon.ico, which is probably
> > someone trying an innocuous test to see if I am running a server and
> > which one.
>
> favicon.ico is IE - and any browser that has picked this up as well -
> asking for an icon to use for pages on your site/in that
> directory. You can provide one yourself if you want; I use a beastie
> for mine.

I think I added the one you introduced to fbsd onto my site.

> > Anyway, that's the rub.  Seems this code red isn't just a worm, it's a
> > network virus, because of the traffic it's generating.  If a piddly
> > server like mine gets a hundred hits in the course of 6 hours, what's
> > it doing to the big sites right now?  And what is the effect on
> > general network connectivity?  Seems the whole net must be bogged
> > down.  I know my response times, even to freebsd.org, are down
> > noticably.
>
> Since it picks IP addresses at random, any given IP address should see
> the same number of hits. Depending on the nature of the RNG used,
> some sites may be immune. Sites running on server farms with lots of
> IP addresses will see the same number of hits per IP as those of us on
> single sites, but the total will be proportionately greater.
>
> What scares me is the possibilitity of near-exponential growth of the
> thing. I've put up a plot of hits/hour since it started - at about 9am
> CDT - to now at <URL: http://www.mired.org/codered.ps >. Discount the
> last data point - it only includes about 15 minutes of hits. The large
> jump around 9am 8/4 got me, but it seems to have peaked at 45/hour,
> and fallen back to ~15/hour. I can understand the levelling out as the
> population of suspect servers approaches saturation, but why is did it
> drop off? Or is the spike just random noise?

Your hit rate is much greater than mine. My complete list of error log
messages are on http://dsl1-160.dynacom.net/code_red.html. The complete
list is only 4 screens of text.

I am also seeing a mutation. The first error log message was the typical
one but yesterday, the second one also started showing up.

[Sun Aug 5 08:31:26 2001] [error] [client 212.205.80.11] \
Client sent malformed Host header
[Sun Aug 5 08:41:47 2001] [error] [client 24.2.244.206] \
File does not exist: /usr/local/www/data/default.ida

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA