Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 17:43:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Michael V. Harding" <mvh@netcom.com>
To:        croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 release, can it be postponed?

Actually, on a related note, it would be nice if ppp had a 'lock' file
you could check to see if the connection was up.  I use
/var/spool/lock/LCK..cuaa1 for this purpose, but it would be nice if
PPP had a way of telling cron jobs directly.  I check for mail every 6
minutes if the connection is up, and every 2 hours if it's not.  With
dial-on-demand, of course.

   Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com> writes:

   > User PPP works right... just "differently" than before. A specific
   > reference to the different behaviour should be noted on the CD of course,
   > but I think userland PPP is quite stable and working better than ever.

   Yes it works, but there are a few features it would be nice to have
   before it's unleashed on the world.  Like a way to explicitly bring up
   the link when running in auto mode.

   It often takes me two or three tries to connect to my ISP, by which
   time a program that's attempting to open a socket has usually timed
   out.

   In the past, I've handled this by using invoking ppp interactively
   when I'm present and using ppp -background for cron jobs.  Now I'm
   forced to use ppp -auto and my cron jobs keep timing out. :-(
   --
   I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
   to make the commitment.