Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 18:39:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DOH! Something PCI-related recently broken in -STABLE

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Chris Dillon wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > I posted some patches against the latest -stable
> > (http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/no-hang.diff.4) that it would be
> > nice if you could try.  Boot with and without them.  You should be
> > told your BIOS version (actually, the level of the PCI spec that
> > your BIOS supports) with them.  If you get a hang, then you can
> > set hw.pci.ignore_pcibios=1 at the loader prompt (set hw...=1) to
> > see if that causes the problem to go away.
>
> This isn't actually a hang that I or the other person am seeing, just
> a lack of detection of a lot of devices, which usually includes the
> drive controller that is holding the root disk and thus causing the
> boot failure.  I noticed we now get this neat prompt that lets us try
> to find another root instead of panicing that the root wasn't found.
> I like that, whoever added it, if you're listening. :-)
>
> I'm off to test the patch before I upgrade the BIOS, then upgrade the
> BIOS and test both patched and unpatched kernels.  Give me about 45
> minutes. :-)

Sh~t.  Now I'm seeing a hang, but its hanging even on a
pre-interrupt-routing kernel I kept.  Its completing the boot, and
getting all the way to a login prompt, but it hangs solid just a few
seconds after that.  The BIOS upgrade must have caused it. :-(

The patched kernel works only when I set hw.pci.ignore_pcibios=1, but
it hangs at login just like the other kernels are now.  It reported
PCI BIOS version 2.10, by the way.  Sigh.  I'm outta here.  I'll fix
it tomorrow.  I don't think anybody will die around here if they don't
have internet access for a while.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet