Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:55:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <spidey@libdns.qc.ca>
To:        Nathan Ahlstrom <nrahlstr@winternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious reboots...

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Nathan Ahlstrom wrote:

> Spidey <spidey@libdns.qc.ca> wrote:
[snip]
> > yes, i do have the splash pseudo-device in my kernel. This could be the
> > cause of the reboots. I'll try to recompile a kernel without it. The
> > problem is that it is very difficult to test as I don't know which
> > conditions to recreate to make the event happen again. We'll see, with
> > time.
>
> Yes, it could be the cause.  Several weeks ago some other reported similar
> problems and it was determined to the the splash screen code.   I thought
> that there was a fix put in for this problem, but I am not sure.

The fix is in -current? because I'm -stable here...

[snip]

> > What's this splash device anyways? I put it there to test it and never got
> > time to check out the doc or try it in any way... :(
>
> It can display a pretty picture upon boot up and it is necessary for the
> console mode screen savers.

oh. But the screen-savers never had need for a kernel option before?! Why
now? How can I display the pretty picture? :)

When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I can witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home