Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 19:45:08 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux Matlab on 4.2?

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 04:27:33PM -0500, Brandon Fosdick wrote:

> Brandon Fosdick wrote:

> I figured it out. This is why you the message in the archives talked
> about installing the Linux version of tar. The installed, running in
> Linux land, can't find /usr/bin/tar. Instead of installing tar I just
> symlink'd to the /usr/local/bin/tar and everything worked.

Hmm, it seems like it may be worthwhile to add tar to the linux_base
port?  Anyone out there have an opinion on that?

> Now my problem is getting Matlab itself to run.
>
> 16:25 bfoz@806a-117~>/compat/linux/bin/sh
> /compat/linux/usr/matlabr11/bin/matlab
> /compat/linux/usr/matlabr11/bin/matlab: /dev/null: Permission denied
>
> Internal error 1: We could not determine the path of the
>                   MATLAB root directory.
>
>                   original command path =
> /compat/linux/usr/matlabr11/bin/matlab
>                   current  command path =
> /compat/linux/usr/matlabr11/bin/matlab
>
>                   Please contact:
>
>                       MathWorks Technical Support
>
>                   for further assistance.
>

> So far the only way around this that I've found is to su before
> running the above. I don't like running Matlab as root so I'm still
> looking for a solution. Any ideas? Maybe I'll try changing the perms
> on /dev/null...

No, running as root is _not_ good.  Is 'matlab' a wrapper script or
a binary?  If it is a script then it may require some editing to get
things right.  If it is a binary then you need to find out if it is
statically linked or not.  Use the file command to find out (file
/path/to/matlab). If it and other associated binaries are statically
linked you will have to brand them with brandelf (man brandelf).

Good luck.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252