Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 17:55:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PRCS (was Re: CVS Branches hits again!)

According to Scott Blachowicz:
> Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
>
> > > [ PRCS ]

> > > Becoming more important as FreeBSD developers are now starting to use
> > > it.
> >
> > This is currently my first priority.  I've kept pretty quiet and not
> > pushed PRCS in too many places because of this, but spoke up now because
> > I figure PRCS would be no worse than CVS since people seem to be using
> > CVSup.
>
> Well...for me, the client/server stuff has been pretty handy.  I have a few
> small repositories that I maintain at work, but work on at home occasionally.
> It's handy to be able to specify things so that syncing with the remote
> repository goes through a ssh tunnel as opposed to requiring some form of NFS
> access or maintaing a copy of my _repository_.

Speaking of this client/server thing. If you have a repository on one
machine and have a lot of developers that you want to give access into
the repository, but NOT into the machine otherwise, how do you do?

First of all, you need to let the committers name end up in the commit
message. Second, you don't want the persons to be able to log in to your
machine, just use the repository for storing/sharing/modifying code, etc.

Can this be done with in the CVS way of doing things? Build a special
"rsh" and "rshd" which does authentication, and then only allows the
commands which has to do with CVS?

Otherwise it would be nice if you simply had a "prcsd" listening on a port,
which took a repository-username (which was in a special file, not in
/etc/passwd) and an "athentication key", and checked if the host is allowed
to connect in an ".rhosts"-like file. Then you could simply follow a
protocol where you send commands and data over this socket.
This system could be one way of doing it, the otherone being the normal CVS
way with rsh/ssh.

This could be done e.g if you set PRCSROOT to remote.machine.org:2050:/cvs
or so.

There... You can start flaming me now. :-)

   /Mikael