Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:40:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Philip Stripling <philip@civex.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        sue@welearn.com.au, dpilgrim@uswest.net, cjclark@home.com, jaco@titine.fr.eu.org, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Serious question -- was Re: minimal download...

   From: "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
   Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:50:59 -0500 (EST)
>SNIP<
   BTW, there is a pretty funny (but I'm a geek, but if you're on this
   list too...) Usenet message about ed, vi, and emacs that comes with
   the emacs distribution. See the message with subject, "The True Path
   (long)" in /usr/local/share/emacs/20.2/etc/JOKES.

The message about ed is funny because it's true. I especially liked the
following:
------begin quote---------
Let's look at a typical novice's session with the mighty ed:

golem> ed

?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
exit
?
bye
?
hello?
?
eat flaming death
?
^C
?
^C
?
^D
?

---------end quote--------

Now _that's_ funny! And true.

Serious question:

By the way, my ISP uses FreeBSD, and the sysadmin is a true vi believer,
but he put emacs on the computer just for me. Unfortunately, he does not
know anything more about emacs than how to install it. It ran fine for a
time, and then gnus started freezing up right after it was through "Reading
nntp." It just sits there forever, I have no control over the program at
all, not even ^Z causes emacs to suspend and dump me into the shell. I
telnet in from my Mac, and I have to quit my telnet program, restart it,
and log in again. emacs 20.3.3 and gnus 5.6.45. The gnus FAQ says SCO Unix
has this problem; is this a known issue with FreeBSD? The sysadmin
suggested a change in my settings that is causing the problem; I telnetted
in from a Windows NT box and got the same result, though. Any help
appreciated.

Phil

--
Phil Stripling