Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 15:50:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mariusz Potocki <potok@friko.onet.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amd automounter question

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Mariusz Potocki wrote:

> I recently configured amd to automount my cdrom drive.
> Work ok but at startup it causes modem in other machine that works as my
> gateway to Internet to dial out.
> If I kill ppp process on gateway, amd wait about 40 sec before activating.
> Is it some DNS lookup? And how to avoid it?

I'd guess DNS.  to check, run tcpdump in the tun0 interface and watch for
packets for port 53.  You can set up ppp to ignore these, and/or check
that your local hostname(s) are entered into /etc/hosts on your
machine(s).

> Is it possible to umount cdrom on pressing eject button on drive?

I don't think so -- the cd driver locks the CD on mount, and having the CD
suddenly disappearing would probably cause a FreeBSD heart attack.