Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:20:33 +0200
From:      Dirk Froemberg <dirk@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mysql-server-3.22.25 install botch (pthread_attr_setschedparam?)

Hi Ronald!

On Sun, Sep 19, 1999 at 06:08:12PM -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> In message <19990919230055.E42360@physik.TU-Berlin.DE>, you wrote:
> [...]
> OK, so question number one is: Did the `pthread_attr_setschedparam' standard
> thread function get added into libc_r yet?  Is it there in FreeBSD 3.3?

Yes, it was added somewhen between 3.1 and 3.2-RELEASE.

> Second question:  Does FreeBSD 3.3 have _all_ of the POSIX thread functions
> in libc_r?  If not, when will the thread support be completed?

I don't know exactly. It seems to be fairly complete, now.
deischen@FreeBSD.org is working in this area. He's the one to talk to.

> Last but not least, the mySQL docs say that mySQL can in fact make use of
> several processors at a time (assuming one has a multiprocessor system to
> run it on) *if* the underlying OS has real, good, and proper support for
> threads (and, one must assume, if it also has good support for multi-
> processor systems).
>
> OK, so my question is simple:  Is the thread support stuff in FreeBSD
> really complete, in the sense of having proper support all fo the way
> down to the kernel level, or are FreeBSD threads just being implemented
> at the library level, with no special involvement on the part of the
> kernel?

FreeBSD threads are "just" user-level threads.

> I hope that it is apparent what I am really asking here.  If I run mySQL
> on a multiprocessor system that is running FreeBSD, will it actually be
> able to make use of more than one processor at a time on that system?
> Does the FreeBSD kernel provide adequate support for this?

Yes, definitly. FreeBSD-SMP scales very well (see
http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/akgraph-a/graph1.html for details).

And yes, MySQL will benefit from more than one processor. That's what
threads support is for. 8-)

	Regards Dirk

--
Dirk Froemberg