Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 15:10:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        Alex Knowles <alex@targeting.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: I can't believe I am soo stupid

You can always do "mount /" to fix that.  You'll also need to mount /usr
too so you can get to the admin tools.

Mike

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Alex Knowles wrote:

alex> Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 19:52:29 -0000
alex> From: Alex Knowles <alex@targeting.co.uk>
alex> To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
alex> Subject: RE: I can't believe I am soo stupid
alex>
alex> Thanks alot for all this, and I've tried to edit the passwd file, however
alex> the / partition is mounted read-only, a dodgy friend of mine is sending me a
alex> low level editor
alex> we'll see
alex>
alex> -----Original Message-----
alex> From: Malartre [mailto:malartre@aei.ca]
alex> Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 1998 7:52 PM
alex> To: Gary Kline
alex> Cc: Alex Knowles; questions@FreeBSD.ORG
alex> Subject: Re: I can't believe I am soo stupid
alex>
alex>
alex> Gary Kline wrote:
alex> >
alex> > According to Alex Knowles:
alex> > [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
alex> > > doh,
alex> > > I have just locked myself out of my bsd 3 box
alex> > > I tried to change the shell that root uses by editing the passwd file
alex> and
alex> > > put in
alex> > > /usr/bin/tcsh
alex> > > When i try and log in as root it says that it can't find bin/tcsh
alex> > > and dumps me back to a login prompt
alex> > > Please help (preferably kindly!)
alex> > > thanks alot
alex> >
alex> >
alex> >         Shutdown and reboot the system.  Bring it up in single-user
alex> >         mode by typing ``-b'' at the
alex> >
alex> >         boot:
alex> >
alex> >         prompt.
alex> >
alex> >         There is a more detailed explaination in the Answerman column
alex> >         of Daemon News a month or so  ago.
alex> >
alex> >         gary kline.
alex> >
alex> It's "-s" I think, not "-b".
alex> Also, to edit the password file, I think you need to run "vipw".
alex> --
alex> [Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][http://www.lowrent.org/freebsd/malartre/]
alex>
alex> To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
alex> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
alex>
alex> To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
alex> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
alex>

Much obliged,

Mike

| Mike Newell                          | The opinions expressed herein      |
| Affiliation:                         | are mine.  You can take them or    |
| Address:                             | leave them.  Flames to /dev/null.  |