Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 08:10:08 +1100 (EST)
From:      Anthony Hill <ahill@blacksun.net.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   standard print setup.

I have having some probelms getting my basic print setup to work under
2.2.1-Release. When I try to use lpr to print - I get a message like :-

bash$ lptest 30 10 | lpr
lpr: connect: No such file or directory
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
bash$

..and sure enough lpq shows the queued files. I can print by catting a
file to /dev/lpt0, so I know the printer is working ok. My printcap
looks like :-

lp|hp|HP bubblejet 670C:\
        :sh:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
        :lf=/usr/local/libexec/if-simple:

and if-simple looks like :-

#!/bin/sh
#
# if-simple - Simple text input filter for lpd
# Installed in /usr/local/libexec/if-simple
#
# Simply copies stdin to stdout.  Ignores all filter arguments.

/bin/cat && printf "\f" && exit 0
exit 2

and /var/spool/output/lpd looks like :-

bash# ls /var/spool/output/lpd
.seq                            dfA008darkstar.blacksun.net.au
cfA008darkstar.blacksun.net.au
bash#

.. so has anyone got an idea what the problem could be ?

Thanks

Anthony Hill