Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:20:32 -0500
From:      Simon Morton <simon.morton@verizon.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sending a notification email

Roman Neuhauser wrote:

>>me regular account, I want the mail server to simply to send a
>>notification email to my regular email account telling me that I have
>>received an email at the account which I don't normally check, as I
>>don't want huge emails being forwarded all over the place....
>>

>     Instead of using .forward to just send the mail to you, you can use
>     pipe the message to a script that'll send just the headers, and
>     store the message locally. I guess the MTA host will have procmail
>     or maildrop installed, so this should be doable.

or, assuming that the huge mail is received by user joe, you could just
create a .forward file in joe's home directory containing the lines:

|/path/to/myscript.sh
\joe

where myscript.sh is a script that will send a notification email to
your regular email account, reading as much of the original mail as
it needs from stdin.

hth
simon
--