Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 12:56:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roy Dacosta <r_dacosta@cariboo.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modem not being detected on sio1:

Greetings!

I seem to be having problems with my 14400 internal modem under FreeBSD
2.2.2-RELEASE.  The modem is attached to sio1: (DOS COM2:) and my
motherboard BIOS has it's onboard COM2: disabled.  The modem also has a
16450 UART onboard.

It will find the onboard COM1: properly, but reports:

sio1: not found at 0x2f8

Is this a shortcoming in the kernal released with the new floppy set?  Do
I need to recompile the kernal for it to see it?

My modem has been tried in various machines and OS's...it's visible under
DOS, Windows 3.11, Windows 95, Linux 2.0.27, Windows NT, OS/2....just not
FreeBSD.  (Maybe it's the price you pay for a superior UN*X...)  :-)

I would try moving the modem, but I do occasionally use COM1 for null
modem, and I have no other IRQ's available.  (Seriously!)

Any help would ge greatly appreciated.

Roy DaCosta,
New FreeBSD User  (and a Linux ex-user - never again)
r_dacosta@cariboo.bc.ca