Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 01:59:36 -0400
From:      Mark Fullmer <maf@net.ohio-state.edu>
To:        jason <jason@intercom.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Batch installs

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 11:11:43AM -0400, jason wrote:
> I have searched on the freebsd site for a way to do batch installs,
> but have come up with nothing. Is there a way to have a file that
> states all the things you would like to install, etc to make
> installing on several servers easier?

Custom boot floppy and sdist.  For a new install/upgrade the box boots
with a minimal floppy that NFS mounts /usr and a configuration directory
specific to the machine from the master server.  The configuration
file tells it how to setup the disk(s), file systems, and copy in a
/, /usr, and /var.  Once the file systems are in place config files get
copied over, a ssh host key generated, etc.

To keep it up to date, the master server dists out /usr to all the
clients.  Configuration changes like rc.conf are also disted out.
Software always gets installed on the master and disted out.  Use
sym links to maintain multiple versions of the same package in
/usr/local.

The one important thing to remember is not to store local machine
state in /usr, ie /usr/local/etc/configfile won't work because
there's no easy way to keep separate files on the master for each client.
The FreeBSD ports collection has always been a problem because of this...

I have about 30 or so fbsd boxes all synch'd to 1 running like this.

--
mark