Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2001 10:42:32 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Abyssmal interrupt latency with -current

On 2001-May-31 09:34:54 +1000, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au> wrote:
>I've recently been getting SILO overflows on the PPP link on my
>Multia.  I recall seeing a comment (probably in -current) about
>interrupt latency regressions, but the Multia seems worse than
>my 486, so I suspect some of it is alpha-specific.

And I found that it is...  see alpha/27866.  Basically `fast'
interrupts aren't detected as fast and are being scheduled as
threads.

Note that this bug would have been detected by the compiler if
we were using a type-safe language.

>The median time from entering XentInt to the start of the sio
>interrupt handler is 61usec.

With my fix in, the mean and median both drop to just over 21usec,
with a range of 10..~129 usec.  The worst case is fairly bad, but is
good enough to allow sio to work.  The reason for the large worst-case
latencies are nested interrupts - especially clock interrupts.
(These figures are for a UP, not SMP kernel).

>Overall, I suspect I'd be better off ignoring all interrupts except
>the clock interrupt and polling everything everything else from
>within the clock interrupt.

I'm still considering this.  The only problem I see is for receiving
lots of small ethernet frames (the Multia only supports 10Mbps, so
a large frame takes >1msec).

Peter