Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:50:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 5.1-R-p2 crashes on SMP with AMI RAID and Intel 1000/Pro

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Hartmann, O. wrote:

Dear John.

I go to try an UP kernel today, but I make no promises.

I changed today these three config line in the running, but
crashing kernel:

options                HZ=1000
options         PQ_CACHESIZE=256
options         AUTO_EOI_1

I commented them all out because I suspect them causing trouble.
But this kernel does not boot anymore, it gets stuck at the same place
(showing amrd0 raid is ok) as the other ones.

The nasty thing is I can not downgrade to 4.8 because I used UFS2,
so I'm highly interested in getting this weird TYAN Thunder 2500 SMP
system to work.

I remember myself that the first occurence of those massive IRQ problems
occured after one of the AMI/LSI RAID BIOS updates, which where necessary
due to problems with IBM harddrives. Please be aware that I have the newest
BIOS installed (but the problems where present with the previous ones also).

I'll send you dmesg output with UP kernel if it works. I remember myself about
a kernel boot option to force the loader to tell the kernel to boot
more verbose. Can you tell me this option? I think it will be more suitable to get a
verbose kernel log than this short one ...

Thanks in advance,

Oliver