Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 12:03:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <keith@mail.telestream.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Restore Woes

I can't seem to pull any files off of tape. Here is the session as it
happens. It always tells me I've not read any tapes. I'd love to hear how
to get this to work properly. I've made a couple of #comments in the
output that I pasted here.
I'm doing everthing according to how it's detailed in this URL.

http://www.execpc.com/~hamiltj/docs/dump.html#ch-6

The tape volumes are laid out like this
/     volume 1
/usr  volume 2
/home volume 3

Snip-------------------------

# mt -f /dev/nrsa0 fsf 2   #On the tape server to move up 2 volumes to 3.

#  restore -i -f tape.telestream.com:/dev/nrsa0   #On machine restoring.

restore > ls
.:
 activedog/        firstorder/       mikesg/           singtech/
 air-balancing/    get-informed/     msdevine/         spicy/
 amber/            gillespiedecals/  msdevine2/        spivey/
 angledetailing/   gnreynholds/      mysticalfate/     stmcdowell/
 band-trouble/     grant/            nwfyrmedyk/       tsbilling/
 bestbitesbuys/    jat/              procyon/          victor/
 cascade/          keith/            proto/            wbean/
 cwi/              kesat/            robinson/         william/
 cydoniacc/        macrosoft/        seti/
 deeh/             matiax/           shad/
 eu4ic/            mcferran/         shawncwi1/

restore > add victor
restore > extract
You have not read any tapes yet.
Unless you know which volume your file(s) are on you should start
with the last volume and work towards the first.
Specify next volume #: 3   #Don't know if this is correct.
Mount tape volume 3
Enter ``none'' if there are no more tapes
otherwise enter tape name (default: /dev/nrsa0)  #What to enter ?

Thanks
Keith

Keith W.
At the helm <for better or worse>