Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 19:57:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@miles.sso.loral.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   _ANSI_SOURCE... who defines this puppy

I am trying to get pthreads to build on 2.0R. I have had a number of
problems, but this last one led me down a rat hole that seems to go
beyond pthreads. In one source file was :
    #if !defined(_ANSI_SOURCE)
    #define CLK_TCK     100
    #endif /* not ANSI */
This resulted in  redefinition of the value in <machine/limits.h>.
So I started to try to hunt down who defines _ANSI_SOURCE. I found it
referenced numerous times in places in the standard includes. But I
can't find anywhere that it is defined. The best gcc does is:

<~/code>> cc -E -dM  -ansi foo.c
#define __STRICT_ANSI__ 1
#define __FreeBSD__ 2
#define __i386__ 1
#define __i386 1
#define __GNUC_MINOR__ 6
#define __unix 1
#define __unix__ 1
#define __GNUC__ 2

So is this the programmers responsibility to define?

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@miles.sso.loral.com | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |