Date:      Sun, 07 Sep 1997 14:54:50 -0700
From:      "Dennis R. Hilton" <drh@pineknot.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp problem - freeze up

OS:  3.0 BSDI BSD/OS 3.0 Kernel #0:
Hardware: Pentium Pro 200 / DigiBoard / Cisco 2500 series / 8 33.6k externals.

Problem:

I can dial in with Win95 and get a solid tcp connection.  Light transfers
like WWW browsing appears to work fine but heavy transfers cause a hang
which may correct in a minute or so, or may not.

Typically, I will connect at 33.6 via Win 95 dialup networking and open a
telnet session to the same server.  Then I begin a winsock ftp transfer or
Usenet retrieval.  After a few minutes of 33kbps transfer, the transfer
hangs and no more data appears to be moving through the modem.  If I drop
to dos and do a ping to the server, I get a time-out.  Any other winsock
apps will fail to run.  Netstat will show the column headers then freeze.
The telnet sessions is frozen.

Sometimes, everything will begin moving again in a minute or so.  On most
occasions, though, it has remained frozen until I disconnect and
re-connect.  The modems remain connected with no problem, even for 8 hours
or more.

I have managed on occasion to download for up to 12 hours with no problem.
At other times, I cannot move data for 15 minutes.  This occurs with
everyone using Win95 (we all do).  Doesn't matter if its the original, OSR2
or the latest beta.  Fiddling with modem settings makes no difference.
Adding low MTU and RWin setting to the registry might improve things but
not much.  It doesn't matter if we're on the 'net or just ftping to/from
the server.  It doesn't matter to which of the eight modems we connect.  It
doesn't matter how many people are on-line.

Any comments or suggestions regarding this problem would be greatly
appreciated.  Please cc: to my mailbox, as I don't know if my subscription
request has been processed yet.

TIA
--

Dennis R. Hilton <drh@PineKnot.com> - PGP KeyID 6441A341 (on the server)