Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:17:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        greg.campbell@matrikon.com (Greg Campbell)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Korn shell issues

Just editting /etc/passwd does nothing. Data is looked
up in /etc/pwd.db, passwords are found in /etc/spwd.db.

You make changes in those by editting /etc/master.passwd
and running pwd_mkdb.

The easiest way to do that is to use vipw or chsh. It
opens your default editor to change the file and then
runs the pwd_mkdb, which populates passwd pwd.db and
spwd.db.

In a previous message, Greg Campbell said:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed the Korn shell (/bin/ksh) in
> my installation of FreeBSD 2.2.7.
>
> When I execute it from the command line, it
> works perfectly - no troubles.
>
> When I put it into the /etc/passwd file for one
> of the users (in place of csh - for example), the
> user still logs in as csh... Even though the
> directory and the file (/bin/ksh) are correct...
>
> Any ideas what is going on here?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

> Greg Campbell
> Matrikon Consulting Inc.
> Suite 510, 10216-124 Street
> Edmonton, AB  T5N 4A3  Canada
> Phone: (780) 448-1010 X287
> Fax: (780) 448-9191
> email: greg.campbell@matrikon.com

Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.  -- H. L. Mencken