Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2019 18:10:15 +0100
From:      Phil Norman <philnorm@gmail.com>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11 on Ryzen 2400G?

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 at 22:24, Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> On 1/30/19 12:10 PM, Phil Norman wrote:

[snip]

>> - after you have configured the amdgpu.ko to load on boot verify it is
>> able to load the kernel module and your console display looks good.  if
>> you have issues loading the kernel module let us know, there are some
>> things you can try to setup to get a useful backtrace that will help us
>> debug this.
>>

> This is where I get to. I've removed amdgpu from /etc/rc.conf, so I don't
> have to boot single-user mode; when I run kldload amdgpu, the following
> happens:
>
> 1: the 'kldload amdgpu' process doesn't return immediately, yet the
> terminal is responsive; I can hit return, and have the cursor move. The
> mouse pointer also moves.
> 2: something around 5s later, the screen turns off, the keyboard goes
> unresponsive (caps lock light doesn't toggle), and the machine no longer
> responds to pings.
>

> interesting, it looks like the kernel module and firmware modules do
> load.  one thing you may want to test is setting the
> "debug.debugger_on_panic=0" sysctl knob before loading the amdgpu.ko.
> hopefully this will allow you to get into a debugger before the system
> locks up.

I just tried 'sysctl debug.debugger_on_panic=0' from the command line - it
printed out that it was being switched from 1 -> 0. Then tried kldload
amdgpu, and unfortunately it behaved exactly the same as previously
reported. So no debugger for me.

Should I be reporting this in freebsd-x11? Or some other forum? I remember
there being a somewhat heated discussion about the drm kernel module not
always being 100% stable, back in the Summer I believe.

I suppose one further question: is anyone else successfully using the
in-built graphics from a Ryzen G chip with X11? And if so, any advice on
versions of things, or flags to set?

Thanks again for the advice.
Phil