Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:57:58 +0200
From:      Eivind Evensen <eivinde@terraplane.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Thomas Laus <lausts@acm.org>
Subject:   Re: Floppy disks don't work with FreeBSD 9.0

Hi.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 09:45:25AM -0700, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can you please try 8-stable and 9-stable, and if it's still failing, file a
> PR?
>
> I don't know who looks after the floppy subsystem but it shouldn't
> exactly be difficult to fix..

I'm a bit short on free machines, so the closest I can get right now
is my everyday machine running from sources cvsupped from
RELENG_8 3.rd of March:

uname -a
FreeBSD elg.hjerdalen.lokalnett 8.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.3-PRERELEASE #42: Sat Mar  3 20:05:21 CET 2012     rumrunner@elg.hjerdalen.lokalnett:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RUM  amd64

fdformat works fine here with:
dmesg |grep fdc
fdc0: <floppy drive controller (FDE)> port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on acpi0
fdc0: [FILTER]
fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0

Using the disk normally also works.

Additionally, I tried to mount a DD disk (previously formatted and with
files on), which also worked without hassle. I remember back on 6.X
or 7.X, I found no other way to make DD disks work after having read/written
HD disks than using fdformat -f720 on a disk first. Then again,
that was on different hardware, so it may have other reasons.

I have an old machine I could install 9.0 on in order to test there, but
I'd have to install that machine from floppy and I can't seem to
find images for that any more. If it's of interest, I could probably
find another machine to install on, then move the harddrive to the other
machine, but I'd need to some for that.

Regards
--
Eivind