Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2016 08:10:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk@iherebuywisely.com>
To:        "current" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   UPDATING revision and seperate edge-case question(s)

Having unexpectedly built world and kernel GENERIC on 3-8 Current, that is =
not
the principal system [1] ... browsing its UPDATING at the bottom the method=
(s) are
not so precise and/or informative [follows...]

[make world]
make kernel
installworld
.... where is installkernel
=20
make buildworld
make kernel
mm...
make installworld
mm...
.... where is installkernel

but in motd where I save howtos

backups
check nosuid gone
make buildworld
make buildkernel
single user
mm...  [take good notes]
installworld

... and for a lack of time, have to put it all on paper (several draft revi=
sions
within motd )

and in another /usr/src-old

svn sources
move make.conf
check nosuid
buildworld
buildkernel [ compare GENERICS assumed], add compatN etc
installkernel
mergemaster first type, using /usr/src/.../mergemaster.sh
single-user (yet)
installworld
mergemaster (complete )
install newly needed compatNif necc.
make delete-old  ( and sometimes a pipe y | make... or something)
restore nosuid
restore make.conf
rebuild nvidia-driver etc if necc.

AND steps I often take that I've not listed...

So, the latter example is more complete than the ones before it
However, I think other things may be missing
what if it should include a 2a.... make distribution  2b... make release et=
c which I have no=20
  experience with...

/ end of requested another section in UPDATING with commented more-complete=
 steps from
someone with more knowledge than I...
[1]

Edge case...
buildworld/kernel on another machine that is/was backup except that it ran =
out of space
on a few filesystems, so is NOT backup...
wishing for a foolproof method to script its expected installkernel/install=
world onto an
attached main-os disk,  something with rsync... to expedite recovery from t=
he main-os
disk installworld that fails at some point midway, meaning directory-by-dir=
ectory fixes
using cp, gcp, rsync until the hosed installworld is usable again (I've don=
e it before, that
is why I am asking for a feature that will preclude the installworld failur=
e, something like
/work/ /stage/ in ports, where the /stage-installworld/ has been tested eve=
ry which way
so that if the stage-installworld completes, the regular installworld is gu=
aranteed to=20
complete.=20=20
Seeming about a half-years work on someone's part, just adding this edge ca=
se in
case someone has perchance crafted something similar, would jumpstart somet=
hing
similar as a feature, and/or explain an equivalent methodology, to increase=
 the
reliability of updating a system, say upon a critical security advisory hap=
pening to
every os on the web all at once...

ASKING NO RESPONSE to this email to here, do not wish to waste anyone's tim=
e, just
to put forth a few ideas...
Thanks for reading.

J. Bouquet