Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 08:26:41 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting restrictions on Apache processes

> > I'm having trouble with 3.4-STABLE and Apache 1.3.12 w/ PHP3 and MySQL.
>
> A solution that may help is lowering the value that apache uses for
> "max serving" (MaxRequestsPerChild) to something lower than you have
> it at now, this will get the apache processes to exit more often which
> can cause more load, but hopefully the ones that are eating reasources
> will die and let fresh ones with less memory leaked back in.

This is a very good idea, I'll try it.

Also, for the record, what seems to happen is swap size growing too much,
obtaining the "critical mass". With 128 MB of memory, everything looks
clean with 220 MB of swap, but just wait for it to get to 300 MB.. In
'top', every second process is swapping (<apache>) and those degenerated,
resource chomping processes start to appear.  It seems there is no other
way than to add more RAM.

Regards,
--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Pekka.Savola@netcore.fi          not those you stumble over and fall"