Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:40:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        sleek@enabled.com (Noah Garrett Wallach)
Cc:        jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu (Jerry McAllister), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive Failure

> So Jerry,
>

> this is the proper output then?
>
> typhoon# fdisk -I -B -b /mnt/ad2-root/boot/boot0 ad2
> ******* Working on device /dev/ad2 *******
> typhoon#
>

> some mount details seems relevant
>
> typhoon# fdisk -I -B -b /mnt/ad2-root/boot/boot0 ad2

I think you want -b /boot/boot0 there.
You are trying to initialize ad2, not read a file from it.
Presumably, since it is a new disk and you are 'I' initializing
it, there is nothing on it to read.

That   -b /boot/boot0    tells it where to get the file that it will
put in to the boot sector.   Actually /boot/boot0 is the default but I
believe but I tend to want to be explicit in these things.   You don't
want to specify any other file here unless you are trying to put in
some special home brew or third party boot sector.

If you can't read it from /boot/boot0 because the disk is corrupt
then you will have to get a boot CD or a set of boot floppies for
FreeBSD to do it with.     By the way, the 'I' switch presumes
you are using FreeBSD 4.xsomething as it wasn't available in earlier
versions of fdisk.

Try doing an:    fdisk -v ad2
after it is done and see if what it puts out looks good.

Then you will have to start on disklabel
which will be followed by a newfs for each partition you create
with disklabel.

////jerry