Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 14:51:06 -1000
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sane sound cards?

Aloha,

I've recently become interested in the mp3 audio stuff and the capability
of playing CD quality music with my system.

My question is; Are there any sound cards available and supported by
BSD that support this function well?

All of the cards I've checked into appear to fail because there is no data
buffer on the card.  At least not large enough to handle 44.1kHz stereo.
My guess is that somewhere between 16K and 64K bytes of buffer should be
sufficient.

I've recently been using a SoundBlaster AWE 64 Gold, with a 200Mhz
MMX Pentium running 3.0-RELEASE.  It works fine while lightly loaded.
But will start dropping audio data as the load climbs a bit.  A second
or two of on-board buffering should fix the problem completely, and make
it possible to play mp3s on slower systems.  (Dedicating a whole machine
to this function for want of a few K-bytes of buffer seems pretty silly.)

Does anyone make a sound card with a decent size buffer on it for it's
audio input?

Richard