Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 13:51:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Chris D . Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftpd bug in FreeBSD through at least 3.4

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 12:29 PM 10/2/2000, Chris D . Faulhaber wrote:
>
> >The system's ftp daemon or wu-ftpd?  The ftp daemons installed with 3.5.1
> >and 4.1[.1] don't seem affected.
>
> It DEFINITELY works on FreeBSD's own ftpd in 3.4-RELEASE and all 2.x versions
> I have tested.

Yes it does. It was posted to bugtraq as a proftpd bug on 25 Jul 00 by
Carlos Eduardo Gorges <carlos@VT.COM.BR>. I confirmed the bug existed on
our 6.00LS too (and promptly forgot :P). As far as I know, there have been
no exploits and it's not even a DoS since the parent process is
unaffected. The default FreeBSD ftp client crashes before the server
process does, so you can only see the problem with a client on a different
OS (oddly enough, the MS-DOS 7 client seems to be the only one that
creates no problems at all).

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/