Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 22:17:42 +1300
From:      Kit <kit@hypostasis.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Top nlist failed (elf vs aout?)

Hi
I recently upgraded to 3.3 stable from 3.1-release.  I thought that I'd done
the make upgrade going from 3.0 to 3.1 to get from aout to elf but maybe I
hadn't.
My other box is a 3.3-stable and built perfectly well as far as I can tell
but no the second box I am getting
top: nlist failed
man(3) nlist refers to a.out(5) so I was wondering if this implied that
I still had a.out bits in what I had though ws an elf setup.
I have had a look at the archives but I am obviously not quite searching
for the right thing.
Is there a simple way to tell which parts of the system are a.out and
whcih parts are elf?
If aout /elf is the problem is there a simple fix?
Eg should I try a make upgrade on the problem box or is there a reference
to other bits to change that I should check?

Or am I heading down the wrong path?

--kit