Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:43:55 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Christian Murray <d96cmu@csd.uu.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: teTeX

On Tue, Sep 29, 1998 at 12:01:21PM +0200, Christian Murray wrote:
> I have a problem with teTeX-0.4 and FreeBSD 2.2.7. I have installed the
> package but xdvi nor dvips works properly. MakeTeXPK creates fonts
> in /tmp but xdvi or dvips complains with the following output:
>
> "xdvi"
> kpathsea: Running MakeTeXPK cmcsc10 540 600 0+540/600 ljfour
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
> xdvi: Can't find font cmcsc10.
>
> "dvips"
> kpathsea: Running MakeTeXPK cmbx12 1244 600 magstep\(4.0\) ljfour
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
> dvips: Font cmbx12 not found, characters will be left blank.

When you say 'installed the package' you do mean the FreeBSD package,
rather than just grabbing the source from somewhere and building it?  Also,
you didn't install any separate dvips/xdvi packages, did you?  TeTeX comes
with its own tweaked versions of these so you don't need to install them
separately.

TeTeX has always worked out of the box for me.  The only thing I can think
of is that you did something strange in the setup program (texconfig?) and
MakeTeXPK is writing the fonts to someplace that the other programs don't
know about.  I'm pretty sure that my setup puts generated fonts somewhere
under the teTeX directory rather than /tmp.

Sorry I can't be any more precise than that!  HTH,

	Scott.