Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 16:12:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eugene M. Kim" <ab@astralblue.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unicode on FreeBSD

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Nik Clayton wrote:

| On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 11:37:22AM -0700, Eugene M. Kim wrote:
| > On 2 Apr 2000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
| > | I also think the creating of a freebsd-i18n list is long overdue.
| > | I18N issues are largely lost among the traffic on -hackers and
| > | -questions, and it has become something of a specialty area since
| > | most people appear to be served well by the existing non-solutions.
| >
| > I second this idea.
|
| I do, sort of.  I think (BICBW) there's a big overlap between carrying
| out i18n work on the code and message catalogs, and carrying out i18n
| work on the documentation.  There is already a freebsd-translators
| (@ngo.org.uk) mailing list with very little traffic that could be
| migrated to freebsd.org and used for both.

Yes.  In fact I prudently predict that if we launched an i18n mailing
list we would soon get into the same set of problems every i18n project
has (e.g. unification vs. localization).  For this purpose, having a
group of people already involved in i18n (regardless they are
programmers or doc writers) migrated into the new list would be a great
idea.

--
Eugene M. Kim <ab@astralblue.com>

"Is your music unpopular?  Make it popular; make music
which people like, or make people who like your music."