Date:      Tue, 06 Nov 2007 20:01:26 -0500
From:      Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        Rod Person <rodperson@verizon.net>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: C compiler cannot create executables

Rod Person wrote:
> I seem to have really hosed up my system somehow and I'm not sure what
> I did. I'm running FreeBSD 7 Beta 1 i386.
>
> I was going to upgrade to Beta 2, but when ever I compile anything it
> fails and the last line is always:

> I googled for awhile and found the suggestion to reinstall libtool, but
> that also fails with the same error.

I had this exact problem with a production box quite a while ago.

This was on a machine that was running 5.x.

What I did was remove one of the mirrored drives, booted it in another
machine. I put in a 6.x CD, ran sysinstall and did a binary upgrade.

This was the only way I could fix the problem. Since then, the same box
after being put back into production is currently running fine at 6.2

If you have good backups, or even better, a RAID1 system, a binary
upgrade may be the easiest fix. It was for me.

Steve