Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 17:04:55 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A new api for asynchronous task execution (2)

Doug Rabson wrote:
[...]
>      #define TQ_DEF          0       /* use blocking mutex */

Minor nits:

If this means default, I'd rename it to TQ_DEFAULT. No need to
be cryptic, preprocessors can handle legible names these days.

Additionally, it may be useful to be able to explicitly specify
TQ_BLOCKING in case the default ever changes.

[...]
> DESCRIPTION
>      These functions provide a simple interface for asynchronous execution of
>      code.
>
>      Before a queue can be used, it must first be initialised with
>      taskqueue_init().  The arguments to taskqueue_init() include a name which
>      should be unique,
[...]

Wouldn't it be a good idea to enforce unique names? This might
prevent some obscure bugs (KLDs creating their own queues) and
shouldn't hurt as taskqueue create performance doesn't seem
critical.

[...]
>      The system provides a global taskqueue, taskqueue_swi, which is run via a
>      software interrupt mechanism.  To use this queue, call
>      taskqueue_enqueue() with the value of the global variable taskqueue_swi.
>      The queue will be run at splsofttq().
[...]

I think this should go in a separate manpage describing the SWI
mechanism. SWI depends on taskqueue, not the other way around...

Cheers,
Jeroen