Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2001 15:57:33 -0800
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        "S. Aeschbacher" <s.aeschbacher@bturtle.ch>
Cc:        Mike D <d01f1n@yahoo.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cable modem connection problem

S. Aeschbacher wrote:
 > A solution I found is deleting the arp table entry of the default
 > router of the cable modem provider (as a cron job). I did not
 > investigate the source of the problem. Anyone got any clues?

This sounds a lot like your cable modem provider throtteling the link if
it doesn't see some sort of negotiation (DHCP, ARP, etc.) after a fixed
amount of time. I could imagine that some companies do this for
residential connections.

Does your cable modem provide IP service, or do you need PPPoE or
something like that?

 > Mike D wrote:
 >> I have a set up where my FreeBSD 4.4 box is acting as a firewall
 >> and gateway between a cable modem on xl1 and my home net on xl0.
 >> It seems that after approx 10 hours the connection REALLY slows
 >> down, most connection attempts on other ports (e.g. 110) time out
 >> and I have to reboot the box. After the reboot everything is
 >> back to normal.

Is this going out from behind the box, or coming in from the Internet?
Also, do you see packet drops or RTT increases (define "slow").

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/larse/              University of Southern California