Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:09:46 -0500
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@calvin.math.vt.edu>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jonc@pinnacle.co.nz, grog@lemis.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new 2.2.5 installation randomly (and constantly) panics

On Sun, Feb 22, 1998 at 09:14:09PM -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
> matthew c. mead said:

> > One of my users just informed me he can force an immediate panic by
> > writing a large file to ~ftp/pub/pcg (which is mounted to ~pcg/ftp_data
> > with mount -t null ~pcg/ftp_data ~ftp/pub/pcg).  Is nullfs unstable?
> > In fact, I haven't crashed at all since I unmounted them, and it seems
> > there's always a number of ftp connections when the machine crashes.
> > I'm beginning to think this might be the problem.

> Avoid the special filesystems (like NULLFS) like the plague.  Don't even
> consider using them in a production system, and I certainly wouldn't...
> Someone needs to comment the LINT file that one should definitely stay
> away from them (unless the system is not mission critical.)

You don't happen to know of a way that I can allow user supplied
anonymous ftp data to exist on another partition than the one ftpd is
chroot jailed to, do you?

Thanks (everyone) for the multitide of suggestions and the aid!  I'm
sorry I troubled you guys when it appears the nullfs layer was at fault.
Hopefully the problem's now been found.

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead			Virginia Tech Mathematics Department
				460 McBryde Hall