Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2011 10:12:40 +0100
From:      Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   xf86-video-intel upgrade, anyone?

Hello,

my wife bought a new laptop as here old one is breaking into pieces.
It's a Dell laptop using a graphics device that is intetgrated into
the CPU package (PCI ID 0x0046/0x8086).  Some investigation reveals
that X.org's Intel driver branch 2.8 appears to offer support for
this, while the FreeBSD port is still at 2.7.1.  I tried to do a
"quick upgrade" of the port locally, but cannot get it to either patch
(several patches fail to apply), or after removing all patches, to
compile.

Before I start a hunk-to-hunk analysis of the existing patches to see
what's needed and what has to be removed (because it's already part of
the X.org sources), did anyone already do this?

The issue is moderately urgent, because if I cannot get X.org to run
on the laptop, we have to return it to the seller within a couple of
weeks.